What is a Learning Community?
Learning Communities come in all shapes and sizes, depending on the focus or theme. It is simply a group of people from multiple churches who have a shared interest in a ministry area gathering together regularly (approx. every 6-8 weeks for up to 1 year) to:
- Learn and Grow
- Build community and relationships
- Pray together
- Encourage and build each other up
- Share learning
Each individual Learning Community has a specific area of focus – e.g. developing gifts, leading retreats, being a church warden, deepening spirituality etc. so the support and teaching you receive each session will have a clear purpose and application to your own context.
The vision is for these Learning Communities to become hubs for ideas, inspiration and community; a place to be built up, encouraged and refreshed for your area of ministry.
Who is it for?
If you’re an everyday Christian who is passionate about following Jesus and serving him enthusiastically, this is for you. Anyone who has a desire to deepen their faith and develop their skills, ministry or role in a particular area, alongside others.
Why should I join one?
One of the core values of the EQuip Network is Community. You will be together with like-minded people and build networks that support, encourage and equip you, both for your service in church and your daily walk with Jesus. You will be invited to explore new ideas, form supportive networks, grow in confidence, share your ideas, resources and good news across the churches and have opportunity to develop a deeper relationship with God and others.
What commitment will be expected of me?
All participants will need to commit to attending the gatherings (every 6-8 weeks for up to 1 year) and contributing to them fully – each person has something unique to offer and everyone’s contribution adds to the richness of the group. You will meet together regularly as a full learning community, with the possibility of meeting in smaller groups between sessions, in order to encourage and support one another. This would be flexible and at your own convenience.
How long will it last?
You’ll need to be committed for up to 1 year. By the end of the year, you will have developed a strong support network and a desire to continue with your own development informally. After that, you may want to continue meeting in your small groups, sharing your ideas and experiences and praying for one another, but this will be on your own terms.
We also hope that some of you will be so enthusiastic about your experience over the year that you will establish a Learning Community of your own and pass on what you have received over the year!
What support will I receive over the life of the Learning Community?
- Regular gatherings as a wider Learning Community, receiving specific teaching and training in your area of ministry and discipleship.
- A smaller meeting between sessions as a group of 3-4 people, where you can share more openly, pray together, discuss progress and reflect on your experiences (optional).
- Mentoring sessions to discuss specific needs/areas of interest and reflect on your own growth as a disciple and your personal walk with Jesus
- Signposting to relevant people, resources, training and opportunities, both within and outside Coventry Diocese, to help you develop ideas, resources, confidence and skills.